bent*

>> Friday, February 20, 2009




It feels like forever since I written something of substance for my blog. I apologize, we still don't have Internet and my parents switched from cable to satellite (I might have spelled that wrong) so they're Internet has been down for the last week.

I can't promise that this will be that exciting, but fact-filled it WILL be.

I guess I'll start with last Friday. It was definitely Friday the 13 (I'm being completely sarcastic-- even though the day was long and awful, I'm not superstitious in the tiniest bit). I worked 13 hours that day and I wanted to run and hide from everyone that wanted anything to do with flowers or Valentines day... Yuck... Very nearly every person that came in (male and female) wanted a dozen red roses, and I wanted to shake them all and say "Could you please be a little more sincere and find a more heartfelt *personal* way to express your love, PLEASE?!?!" But, they left with they're ugly overpriced vases and bouquets in tow and I continued to answer the phone and attend to the 500 people that came in that day. That night I closed at the optical shop, which was much less stressful, and much needed for my aching feet.

BUT-- when I got home Friday night I was in for the sweetest surprise. Jordan had turned all the lights off in the apartment and had only the dining room lit up with two tiny candles. He made me a delicious dinner and bought me the prettiest, most wonderful smelling white rose and he had it in the vase he used the day he proposed to me, and he had cooked my favorite meal and rented a movie that he knew would make me laugh. He'd also put together a playlist of songs and he had them playing in the background when I came in and while we were eating. It was perfect and a little bit cheesy, and 100% Jordan and it made me forget for a little while about how crazy everything was that day and would continue to be throughout the week.

I ended up working a total of 63 hours that week, between both jobs... something I hope I don't have to do again for a while.

Sunday was my first day off in 23 days. Crazy.
Jordan's mom, Caleb (his youngest brother), Sinclair (his cousin), and Cindy all came out to spend the day with us on Sunday. It was a really long day-- we ended up going to the Arch and we could actually see the water tower that is across the street from our apartment (which was AMAZING), and afterwards we had lunch at the Spaghetti Factory on The Landing. Then we ventured over to Illinois to hang out and wind down at Barnes & Noble. I had my first cup of Starbucks in 4 months (oh, how I had missed it...) After our coffee we headed to church and had a great night. Ian preached a really powerful and confrontational sermon that reached every person on multiple levels, and dinner was (as it always is) eventful and extremely funny. Our food took a tumble the first time around, and wet bottomed Jax made his way around the ENTIRE table to hug everyone goodbye, haha! So funny!!

Tuesday was really relaxing and fun. I spent the morning dying my hair and I spent the afternoon and evening with one of my favorite people in the whole world-- Jonathan. We went EVERYWHERE. Seriously. I haven't been to that many stores in one day since the shopping extravaganza that happened when I was 18 with my friends Chavala. We had a blast. He needed new work clothes and we needed matching outfits (we're going to a mutual friend's wedding together in March and he wanted to make sure my dress matched his tie! haha!) We also had lunch and went antiquing (one of our favorite past times). Jon ended up buying a beautiful piece for his living room. It was a 100 year old little free standing cabinet with granite top. It has all of it's original hardware and the deal was too good to pass up. It looks awesome in his new living room and he had been wanting it for a few months. I ended up finding and incredible little gem. It's a book called "St. Louis, The Portrait of a River City". I'm not sure how many people know, but I collect old books, and this is an awesome new addition to my collection. Not only is it jam packed with great history, it's also a first edition print AND it was signed by the author!!! Apparently it was a personal gift to a friend, and it was only $5!!!! It was Published in 1966 and is still in great condition!

Unfortunately, after my lovely three day weekend (Sunday- Tuesday) the week started going down hill... Jordan got fired on Thursday.
That's a hard sentence to type... because now that I typing it and actually telling people, it's becoming real.
It wasn't his fault. He did absolutely everything he could for that restaurant, and he's a hard worker and a very dedicated person... but they've fired 7 people just since January, and for whatever reason... they chose to fire him too.
I feel awful for him, because the restaurant is poorly managed, and he put up with a lot of crap that he shouldn't have had to, he also picked up shifts whenever he could so he could to help support us. We had only just gotten to the point of recovering from moving, and starting to save up again...

So now it's just me, until Jordan can find another job.
We'd really appreciate prayers. I know everyone is aware of the current economic situation, and everyone is struggling because jobs are scarce... but I'd really appreciate if you could pray for Jordan, it's the first time he's ever lost a job and I know he feels a heavy burden on his heart as a man and as a husband right now.

He's already spent the last two days applying for jobs directly and looking into different staffing agencies. I'm really proud of him for working so hard, even though I know in his heart he's questioning so many things right now... I love him so much and I know that God is with us every step of the way... I know we'll make it through this.

1 comments:

Pam February 23, 2009 at 12:24 AM  

sweet post danielle.. Im sorry you had to work such long hours.. and I hope things get back to some degree of normal. One thing I have learned, is that God has reasons for everything he allows us to encounter.. and even though it sounds cliche..everything will work out.. because God is head of your household.. he knows what you and Jordan need, and he knows where Jordan is supposed to be.. and he will put him there. I just hope its sooner rather than later! :) But your in my thoughts and prayers, and just in case you ever forget, I love you two very much. Keep the faith!!