rocking chair, optometry, india, and me...

>> Friday, January 16, 2009

What a whirlwind...

I have an unbelievably grumpy and pushy fourteen year old cat fighting me for space on this tiny computer chair. She's very lucky that I love her, and that her body and my butt are just small enough to both fit.

I suppose I should explain the title of my blog, beginning with "rocking chair". This Christmas was unique in a lot of ways- some were tiny, but others, I think I'll remember the rest of my life. This year my dad built me a rocking chair.
That probably sounds silly... but it means more than you could possibly know, and it's beautiful. My dad and I share a very special bond. My whole life I've loved him, respected him and admired him long before I ever knew the weight that those words carry. He is my hero, he's the smartest man I've ever known, he has spent his life protecting other people, he is the reason I stare out windows, the reason I love birds. I have his hands, his nose, his eyebrows, and his sweet soul... And for Christmas, all he wanted was for me to be home.

My dad has been gone for the great majority of my life. Because of that there are a lot of memories that we never got to make, a lot things that we never got to do... millions of hugs that I would give anything for...
But this Christmas I was given one of my dad's sweetest secrets.
For almost 7 years, when my dad would come home late at night, after a long day, or a long trip he would come into my room while I was sleeping and pick me up in all of my blankets and he would hold me and rock me... I never knew... Sometimes it was only for a few minutes, other times he would sit up all night just rocking me and listening to me breathe.
For seven years.
It was something he never told my mom... something he never did with my sister... something just for me and him. Just like my "Binky" and Yogie the Bear... just like ice skating, and the night I finally got to dance with him...
So he built me a rocking chair for Christmas, and he gave me a little piece of his secret heart.
It's a beautiful chair, and one of the most precious things I've ever been given.


The second part of the title is "optometry".
This week I started my new job. After two months of searching, and a million job applications, I finally found one that fits. I'm a lab technician at an optometry clinic and it's wonderful. It's very challenging, but I've found that it is extremely rewarding. I work for a great lady who has taken a very quick and keen interest into making this experience more than just another job for me. Over the next year or so she's going to be training and tutoring me to become a liscenced optometrist. We'll see how it goes! Today was slow, but it ws my first day on my own, so that was a great thing. I got to meet a lot of people and I learned how to do three new things today. I replaced a sweet old man's nose pads, styled a very sweet blonde haired lady and did repairs for four other people. The most challenging repair today was re-wiring and fitting a pair of half frame sunglasses. It took me a little while, but the lady was very patient and I was very proud of myself when I was finished.
So, if you have access to the Air Force base and ever have problems with your eyewear, or you just want to visit, I work in the little mall in the front of the BX and I'd love to see you!

Which brings me to "India."
Tariq is the gentleman whose kiosk is right next to my shop. He's from India, and he sells the most beautiful handmade novelty items! I met him a few days ago, but today was the first time I really got to talk to him and he's funny and very smart. He's a travelling salesman of sorts. His entire family lives in India and his parents, along with his sisters and other families in their neighborhood, hand make everything that he sells. I asked him why he picked the job and he told me "I didn't pick it. My family has always had this business, and it's very important to me that our business does well. Not for me, but for all of the people who depend on me. You see, India is one of the most beautiful places in the world, but many people have nothing. I do this so my family and the people we care about always have something."
I was stunned. How many people are that selfless with their lives? He's 37 and he travels every six months to another Air Force Base to promote his family's business. He was a doctor in India. He went through 8 years of college at a private university... and he walked away from it to take care of other people. We talked for a couple of hours tonight about so much, the United States, India, traditions, movies, his family, and all of our travels. After meeting him, and listening to his some of stories I've decided that one day I'd really love to go to India.

I mean, seriously, how many people do you know who grew up riding elephants?

4 comments:

Jillian January 17, 2009 at 10:43 AM  

India is one of my dreams! I have wanted to work with girls in sex trafficking.

Pam January 17, 2009 at 9:03 PM  

Yeah! I am so glad you found a job you like~! You have a awsum, sweet personality for a job like that, you will be wonderful. Wish I had access to the base, I need new glasses bad! Its fun to meet new and interesting people isnt it? I love meeting new people and making new friends, sounds like you found a new freind! Love ya!

SummerFreckles January 18, 2009 at 2:29 PM  

I rode an elephant once. I want to go to India.

Emily Rose Massey January 22, 2009 at 8:59 AM  

Yay! I'm so glad you found a job that you are enjoying! I was praying for you about that so I'm excited God blessed you with such an interesting adventure! :)